Sunday, October 20, 2013

White Spiral Hat with Removable Flower

Today I wanted to share the finished hat I made for my cousin. She requested a white hat with a white flower.  It was knit in the round, using the green Knifter Knitter loom which has 36 pegs.


For yarn I used two strands throughout ... Red Heart held together with Bernat Baby Coordinates.  The Bernat Baby Coordinates has a bit of shimmer, so the hat is not just a 'flat' white. That strand catches the light and is very pretty!


The brim was done alternating rows of E-wrap and purl, then I started on the 'spiral' portion of the hat. There might be an official way to do this, but I did not have a pattern I just did my own thing. I'll describe the steps at the bottom of the post.


If you click HERE, you will get to the page of crochet flower patterns, and I made THIS one. (Click on the words to be taken to the site).  I used an 'F' crochet hook and only the Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn for the flower, and a pearl button from my stash. I attached the flower to the hat with a small safety pin, so she can move it around or wear it without.


Karen's Spiral Hat 

Notes - all Knit stitches are 'e-wrap'.
Do not knit off the e-wrapped pegs as you go - wait until the end of the row.
For the body of the hat you will not be paying attention to the starting peg, as your starting peg will move over one peg to the right with each row.  I tend to knit in the round COUNTER CLOCKWISE. If you knit clockwise, you will have to adjust accordingly.

Once you have your brim the width you want it you can start on the spiral pattern:


1.  E-wrap FOUR pegs (remember not to knit off) and purl the next peg.  *E-wrap 3 pegs and purl 1* across the loom until you have only 3 pegs remaining. You will know you only have 3 pegs left because you didn't knit off the loops on the first 4 pegs!

2.  Now go ahead and knit off all the pegs with 2 loops on them.

3.  E-wrap those final 3 pegs and purl the next one.  Knit off the e-wrapped pegs.  You are finished your first row! Notice how now the starting peg for the next row has moved over one peg?

Repeat steps 1 - 3 until your hat is the length you want it then bind off using a gathered bind off.

I usually decrease the last couple of rows by moving the loop on every 6th peg (if the yarn is really bulky) to the peg next to it. Either side, it doesn't matter but I am consistent and do them all in the same direction. If the yarn isn't too bulky, I'll do every 3rd peg or every 4th peg. I just play this by ear. I'll continue with the e-wrap stitch (ignoring the pegs with no loop on it) for another couple of rows then do a gathered bind off. I don't have a set number of rows as it changes with what yarn I use.

It's an easy pattern ... I used it for my cousin's 2nd hat as well (which I'll post next week).

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by.

29 comments:

  1. liebe karen, die mütze ist dir ja ganz herrlich gelungen....
    liebe grüsse
    ruth..chen;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute hat. I am going to try it, thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenda - glad you liked it!
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love the pattern but I'm confused about the brim. I purled 6 rows and it rolls up. Your pattern says alternating. Could you clarify for me? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you start the brim, do you do 1 row of ewrap and knit off then start the purl wrap one row then ewrap..

      Delete
    2. Kristie, I think back then I was doing a crochet cast on. Now I simply Ewrap the first row then purl the next. You are correct, you do one row of Ewrap, knit off then start the purl row. Repeat until the brim is as deep as you would like - for me, this varies depending on who I'm making the hat for and the thickness of the yarn.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I love the pattern but I'm confused about the brim. I purled 6 rows and it rolls up. Your pattern says alternating. Could you clarify for me? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jessica - thanks for pointing this out. I missed typing in the "and" between E-wrap rows and Purl. That has been fixed now. Anytime you do rows of straight purl or straight knit stitches, it will roll. If you alternate a row of knit (or e-wrap) and a row of purl, your project will not roll. You can also knit two pegs and purl two pegs all the way around the loom which will prevent rolling as well. Hope this helps
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! After a little experimenting I figured it out on my own. Check it out: http://downhomegirl.weebly.com/1/post/2013/12/phoenix-azalea-spiral-slouchy-beanie.html
      Thanks so much for the inspirations!

      Delete
    3. It looks great Jessica! Beautiful colour.
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete
  6. I am brand new to loom knitting & your blog is very useful for learning new techniques. I love all of your stuff !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Sorry for the long delay in answering ... life was busy, with a 3 day road trip, 2 weeks of house guests, and our daughter had a baby!
      I haven't done much loom knitting in the last while, but will get back to it soon. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  7. This is so exciting! Trying this one out as a gift and it's my 4th loom hat, and 4th knit project ever. One part I'm confused is after you've done 3 x E- wrap, and one Purl all the way around, it says to knit off all the ones with 2 loops. Does this mean only the E-wrapped pegs? I love this pattern, I hope I'm doing it right! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that is correct. You knit off the pegs with two loops on them, which would be the E-wrapped pegs. That way it's easy to keep track of where you are in the pattern. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Is this an e-wrap cast on or a crochet cast on ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do a crochet cast on when making hats.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I finished my hat everyone(including me) loves it thank you for this pattern

      Delete
    2. Yay - I'm so happy it worked and you are pleased with it.
      Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  10. Have you ever tried making the spiral on the hat a second color or do you have any ideas on how that might be done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never worked with stripes or adding a second colour, other than making the brim one colour and the body of the hat a different colour. There are tutorials on You-Tube for using a second colour (i.e. - stripes) that I remember seeing. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. My loom has 31 pegs so throws off the pattern. After doing the pattern I end up with 2 final pegs, not 3. Any suggestions? Frustrating.... Thanks for any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn. Anytime you use a loom with an odd number of pegs for a pattern written for a loom with an even number of pegs it will not work out the same. Maybe read step 3 and see how you can be able to move your starting peg over one ... you said you have two final pegs leftover (because you are using an odd-numbered peg loom). So knit off just one of the two remaining. That would move your starting peg by one. I have never done this pattern on an odd-numbered peg loom but you should be able to play around with it and get it to work. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for replying so quickly! I decided to just follow the directions but substitute "2 pegs" for your "3 pegs". So I actually knit off the remaining 2 pegs + the next one (which was already e-wrapped) & then purled that peg & continued on. Actually it looks just great! Think I'll try your suggestion & see if I can tell the difference...

      Delete
    3. Yay - looks like you found your solution!

      Delete
  12. Hi Karen, l love this pattern but don't know if it will fit my big head as I usually use the 41 peg loom for my hats. Can you remember what the brim measured in circumference?
    TIA, Marg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, unfortunately I don't have a record of the measurements of the hat circumference. I have never measured one of my hats that way! I'm sure you could use this pattern with the 41 peg loom ... read through the other comments as someone else (Marilyn) wanted to use an odd-peg numbered loom and got it to work. Then you could use my simple pattern for that loom and know it will fit you. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  13. Is there vocabulary somewhere so I can figure the stitches out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any specific place where you can see all the stitches listed, but if you check out some of the other Loom Knitting sites they might have something there. I have some linked on the right of my blog and you can do a Google search for others. Hope that helps.

      Delete